New Heat Pump Grant
The UK Government last month announced a new heat pump grant from April 2022 called the Clean Heat Grant. The new grant offers a £5000 grant to replace boilers. The grant will only fund 90,000 pumps over three years. So now has never been more of a good time to start deciding to go green and save money on your energy bills over time. The scheme will replace the current grant called Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) which comes to an end in March 2022.
Eligibility Criteria to Receive Clean Heat Grant
- All applicants must hold a valid EPC, which has been issued in the last 10 years. An EPC is a certificate that shows how energy efficient your property is, as well as the estimated energy costs and the home’s energy performance related features.
- There must be no recommendation on the valid EPC for loft and/or cavity wall insulation. There will be an exemption to this requirement, for example, a government listed building or homes located in a conservation area. The exemptions will remain the same as listed by the domestic RHI.
More information is available on the government website.
When Does The Clean Heat Grant Start?
The UK is trying to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. It has set a target to install 600,000 heat pumps per year by 2028.
What Is The Current Grant?
The current grant is called the Renewable Energy Heat Incentive Grant. You could get from £200 to £4000 a year as part of the incentive but the amount will depend on the system installed. The grant scheme is open to applications until March 2022.
If you secure access to the RHI before then, the government will send you quarterly payments for seven years, based on the amount of electricity your system is estimated to produce.
Here are some criteria that must be met to be eligible. All of the criteria are available on the government website, and it’s worth checking to make sure you comply with every requirement. First of all the technologies used must be on the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) and have a certificate issued. Technologies that are included are biomass boilers, air-source heat pumps, ground source heat pumps and solar panels.
Who Can Apply For The Current Renewable Energy Grant?
- The owner of the property, a landlord and self-builders can apply for the grants
- You must have applied within 12 months of the commission date of your renewable heat source
- You will need the MCS installation certificate number for your heating system
- You must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) number
- Have your bank details handy
There is a lot to take in with these requirements. If you are unsure but will rely on getting this funding to help pay for your choice of renewable heat source, call us and we can help guide your decision. You will need to understand the type of renewable heat source to install and the certifications and technologies to purchase.